Norm,

If I were you... I would do two things:

A) push to force users to use a preference server.
B) treat the local "Home" directory like a "browser" temp directory.
   B1) It could be one location on the PC.
 OR
   B2)
    You can edit together reg keys for each known user on the box at
the time of install.
       AND
     When a new user logs in the login script would need to also muck
with the reg keys too.

Tell your desktop people those options and I would expect them to pick
the B1 option. :)

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)