From: Carey Matthew Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 6:50:38 PM
Subject: Re: Table Fields

Warren,

If I can come up with an answer will you build the form? :)

Well... theoretically.... The field ID space is as large as the
positive range of a regular integer. :) 2,147,483,647 ( I think)

So if each table field had only 1 column then you need two field ID's
per table field.
So the limit might be about 754305817. ( Maybe as high as 1022740773
if you break a few more rules, but likely is practically limited at
that number. However if you break even more rules you could get an
extra 500 table fields if the special field ID's do not product
unexpected function of the tables.)

So when can I expect that form with 754305867 two column table fields?
(Note: I picked the most conservative number from the above.  I am
trying to be nice. :) I wonder how big that form definition would be.
:)

Here is how I got that answer: ( for the interested. :)

You have a few core fields to account for... 9 by my count
(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,15[15 for Status History]) and one VUI ID value for
the default view. I do not think ARS will let you create a field ID
with the same value as the VUI ID.  (Just tested this on v6.3 and you
can NOT have a field ID the same as any VUI ID value.) Although I
think you could avoid 9 of those core fields by using a Display only
form too. :) Then you would only have one field ID that you must use
for the VUI ID. :) But for this example I will assume a Regular form.
:)

But there are also the "reserved ranges" (which you might want to
avoid, but could partially violate if you decided too. :) basically
1-536870912 [ including the 10 specific ones above]

So...(because we do want to be good)

2,147,483,647 - 536870912= 1610612735 total field ID's for use by a
customer on a form.

Yes some other ranges exist for special reasons and could add some
limitations too:
1-99 : Core fields (-100)
60000-60999 : Dynamic groups  ( -1000)
1000000–1999999 : Global fields ( -1000000)
3000000–3999999 : Window Scoped Global fields ( -1000000)

So (because we do want to be good) that brings the number down to:

1610612735  - 100 - 1000 - 2000000 = 1508611635

( You might actually be able to use 2000000 of those fieldID's, but I
would avoid the Dynamic Groups fields. The behavior would likely be
very strange if you used those.)

So.. if each table field takes 2 field IDs then that leaves you with...

INT(1508611635/2) = 754305817 total one column table fields you could
put on a single ARS form. ( Again... theoretically. And good luck
getting that form to render on the Mid-Tier. :)

If you want to be bad and use the "reserved range" then you have an additional:
536870912 - 100 = 536870812 field IDs
And that would be

INT((1508611735+536870812)/2) = 1022741273 Total Table fields if you
ignore all "special ranges"

And as many as:
INT((1508611735+536870812-1000)/2) =1022740773 Total Table fields if
you only honor the dynamic groups "special range"

And I think that is you true "final answer" for how many table fields
you could add to a Regular form.  (+5 more if it is a display only
form. :)

How you would show that many table fields... well that is your problem. :)

I guess you might want to subtract two more field ID's from that set
(or one table field) and keep them for a button to give the user a
dialog to pick from a list of tables to show in a table field on the
dialog. :) The dialog would need to return a value that other active
links could do hide/show actions on to show the right table field on
the local form.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black