Kyle,

It is really simple. In the set field action you set the value to be.
$Field$+" OR '1'="""+$column_Value$+""""

Note: I doubled the double quotes that I want as literal values inside
the double quotes.... Like...
"this is a string with a double quote  "" in the middle of the string"

And I did that after the = and again after the column_Value to finish
the qualification.

So before you call the guide. Clear the value of the EXTERNAL_field value.
In the guide...
 if the EXTERNAL_field  = NULL... then
   EXTERNAL_field = "'1'="""+$column_Value$+""""
 else
   EXTERNAL_field = $EXTERNAL_field$+" OR '1'="""+$column_Value$+""""

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach