________________________________

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Don McClure
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ARS 7.0.01 Patch 002 -- User Tool, Specifically

**
Stephen,

Concerning the User Tool -- do NOT uninstall 7.0.01 Patch 1 first,
UNLESS THE INSTALLATION DID *NOT* INCLUDE CRYSTAL REPORTS.

Specifically--it is the uninstallation of the Crystal Reports segment
that
contaminates the machine, unrecoverably (unless one has already
captured a late, pre-removal image).

Install UT 7.0.01 p2 directly, with UT 7.0.01 p1 in place; I have done
so on
five machines in our area already, and all are working correctly with no
VC++ runtime contamination or Office 200x misbehavior.

dwm

Don W. McClure, P.E.
Systems Engineer
University of North Texas
dwmac_at_unt.edu
940.565.3287

>>> Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11-Apr-07 1:18 PM >>>
Did you have to uninstall 7.0.01 Patch 001 first?  Or was it installed
on
top of patch 1?

The documentation is not really clear...  I am reading the
'Patch002_UserTool_TechBulletin(ReadMe).pdf' file and it states:

"BMC Software is alerting users of BMC Remedy User version 7.0.01 to the
availability of a patch that provides fixes for various known issues. If
you
have any questions about the problem or the patch, contact BMC Software
Customer Support at 800 537 1813 (United States or Canada) or call your
local support center."

Does this mean that prior to installing patch 2 you have to contact your
support company to get the patch for patch 1? If so, then I wonder why
it
wasn't simply included in the patch 2 folder on BMC's ftp site.

Further in the pdf, it states: "Use the normal installation procedure
for
BMC Remedy User as described in the BMC Remedy Action Request System 7.0
Installing guide."  However, from page 123 of that Installing guide:
"Before
you perform an overwrite installation of BMC Remedy User, uninstall the
existing version."

If you follow these steps - uninstalling the User Tool first - you will
trash your computer (bug SW00257321) and "the only way to recover is to
reload the operating system."

If I recall correctly, David Easter previously recommended to install
the
User Tool patch 2 version on top of the patch 1 version (without
uninstalling patch 1 first) to avoid the problem.  Yet, the readme doc
does
not state this.

Does anyone know the correct installation procedure to install User Tool
7.0.01 patch 2 on a computer that already has User Tool patch 1 (with CR
redistributable files, Office 2003, and Visual Studio installed)?

Stephen