Our current pre-production setup has evolved a lot over the last few
months, due to issues with various services that ITSM 7 requires that
either do not play well together, or do not like an x64 environment.
Here is our current server sizing and distribution:

ARSYSTEM SQL SERVER
*       DL385 2 x Dual Core 2.6 ghz 10 gb RAM
*       Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64
*       SQL Server 2005 x64
*       ARSystem Database

REMEDY AR SERVER
*       DL385 2 x Dual Core 2.2 ghz 10 gb RAM
*       Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
*       JRE 1.4.2
*       ServletExec AS 5.0
*       7.x Components:  ARS, AREmail, AREA & ARDBC, Approval,
Assignment; CMDB 2.0
*       7.x Applications: Incident, Problem, Change, and Service Level
Management, Enterprise Integration Engine Data Exchange, Remedy
Knowledge Management integration to ITSM
*       SLM Collector

REMEDY KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT WEB SERVER AND EIE SERVER
*       DL380 2 x Xeon 3.06 ghz 3 gb RAM
*       Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
*       SQL Server 2005 [RKM db]
*       JDK 1.5.0
*       Tomcat 5.5.20 (Installed by RKM 7.1.01)
*       SearchServer 5.4
*       RightAnswers SelfService, Support Analyst
*       7.x Components:  Remedy Knowledge Management 7.1.01, EIE and SQL
Server Adapter 7.0.01.003

CRYSTAL REPORT SERVER WITH MID-TIER WEB SERVER
*       DL380 2 x Xeon 3.06 ghz 3 gb RAM
*       Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2
*       SQL Server 2005 [CR11 db]
*       IIS 6.0
*       JDK 1.4.2
*       Tomcat 5.5.17 (Servlet Only)
*       Crystal Reports Server XI (running on IIS using .NET 2.0)
*       7.x Components: Mid-Tier, Flashboards
*       ARSPerl Scripts

PRODUCTION MID-TIER WEB SERVER
*       DL380G5 2 x Quad Core 1.87 ghz 12 gb Ram
*       Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64
*       SQL Server 2005 x64 [SharePoint web]
*       IIS 6.0 [SharePoint web]
*       SharePoint Server 2007
*       JDK 1.4.2
*       Apache Tomcat 5.5.17 (Web and Servlet as installed by mid-tier)
*       7.x Components: Mid-Tier, Flashboards, CI Viewer, probably the
SLM Collection Point

INTEGRATION SQL SERVER
*       DL385 2 x Dual Core 2.2 ghz 10 gb RAM
*       Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64
*       SQL Server 2005 x64 [for LDAP, EIE]
*       SMS 2003
*       FTP Server (IIS 6 web not active)
*       LDAP Integration (People and Jobs)
*       Asset Integration
*       MySoft Integration

Crystal, Mid-tier, and Remedy Knowledge Management are particularly
problematic.  I have all three running on my development web server, but
with several problems that I will not accept for production. Installed
together on the mid-tier-installed Tomcat instance, the web management
interface into Crystal is not available, and any time RKM crashes tomcat
(try an unqualified search of the kb) then Tomcat restarts and then
mid-tier runs the AR server ragged for over 30 minutes while a prefetch
of the ITSM application runs again. Without prefetch, web response times
for ITSM 7 consoles are over a minute for first-time loads, close to a
minute for all other forms. After a prefetch, first-time loads are 8-15
seconds, subsequent loads are 3-4 seconds similar to the User Tool. No
one here is impressed with mid-tier performance - it is unacceptably
slow until it has been running a while and all of the forms have been
fully cached; prefetching is essential but only serves to bring the
initial form loads into a tolerable delay range.  NOTE - while a
prefetch is running, ALL access to the AR Server from ANY client is
noticeably degraded.

I had to put EIE on the RKM server since it was 32-bit - EIE did not
work properly on x64 or I would have kept it on the Integration SQL
Server where its db resides.  We are very satisfied with the performance
of SQL Server 2005 x64 on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64. We have
seen too many of the BMC Remedy 32-bit components misbehave on x64
platforms so have reverted many of them back to x86 - the last holdout
is the mid-tier server, since it would be almost criminal to revert that
much hardware from x64 to x86, but it is under consideration.  Applying
the x64 version of Service Pack 2 for Win2K3 to that server stopped
Tomcat cold - it was unable to start until I removed the service pack.
There are no such problems on three different servers with mid-tier or
RKM using Tomcat after installing the x86 version of Service Pack 2.

We are not in production yet, but are sizing for use by 300 support
staff over both User Tool and mid-tier, and an active customer base of
over 45,000, although we will be loading a customer table from
PeopleSoft that has about 320,000 entries.  That is our current load on
our ITSM 5.5 / ARS 5.1.2 system.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center
http://remedy.unt.edu/helpdesk/