I have noticed the 'size' difference also, and have always questioned
their "build/release" process based upon this fact.

I would shutter to think that the shared libs are maintained separately,
without a common code source. Of course with that said, if they did a
"make -ALL" which would build ALL components at the same build, then
there would only be the one "version" of the libs as well.

Also in the past (should go check now :-( ) there were different JDK
versions with the various products (components) as well...

Makes you go "hhuumm"...

I know in the past, we had an issue, because we patched the server, but
not the email engine on the same system (due to a file copy error
unfortunately [read human mistake]) and well, windows was starting the
email service before arserver, and well pulled in the older libs which
arserver did not like running with. Resulted in a very unstable beast
for a few days to determine what happened... So after that, I hacked the
registry to have email dependant upon arserver, so it forced a proper
startup sequence...

Side Note <gripe> would it not be nice to have "per release" an already
built "production, debug" binaries? I know you had to live many days
waiting on the debug build, living with outages and such...  After all
how hard would it be to script a "make -ALL;make -DEBUG -ALL"... eh'
sorry did not notice I woke up with new system settings...
"Perfect_World_Mode = on;" today or something </gripe>

Thanks-n-advance;

HDT Platform Incident / Problem Manager & Architect
Robert Molenda
IT OS PA
Tel: +1 408 503 2701
Fax: +1 408 503 2912