The JSESSIONID that is stored in the cookie is a session id generated
by the servlet container for session tracking; I'm not sure the
bindings to get the user credentials from that alone.

In the context of a dv plugin, there is another session attribute,
userCredentials, that stores username and password for the current
user.  There is a code example of using this session attribute
available here:
http://arswiki.org/projects/dvpfw/browser/trunk/src/org/arswiki/dvplugin/util/Joarse.java#L61

There are two dv plugin examples on the arswiki site, but neither
leverages the event infrastructure; it is on the todo list for the
dvpfw project:
http://arswiki.org/projects/dvpfw
http://arswiki.org/projects/dvphw1

It seems that most mid-tier servlets extend GoatHttpServlet, which has
the UserCredentials object available.  An example of this is available
in the browserstats app.  This is basically a standalone servlet that
does not use the dv plugin framework, but gets at the usercredentials
object available in the session:
http://arswiki.org/projects/browserstats/browser/trunk/java/src/org/arswiki/browserstats/StatsServlet.java#L118

These are just a few ways at getting to the user credentials from a
servlet.  I would advocate the use of a dv plugin for your task.  For
the browserstats app, I wanted a servlet I could send a request to
asynchronous to the loading of the mid-tier page, which a dv plugin
wouldn't help me with.  This is why I took the approach I did in this
case.

Axton Grams