I agree on the incident viewer permission giving them too much
visibility, trouble is the notifications to the customers send them to
the Incident, not to the service request, and send them without enough
permissions on the incident (even with Incident Submitter and Viewer) to
edit the WorkLog.  The whole dynamic between the service requests in the
requester console and the incidents they create and how the customer is
supposed to interact with them is half-baked in ITSM 7.0.02.003,
especially since support staff created incidents do not reliable create
corresponding service requests to be customer access points.  IMHO the
app is broken out of the box, and must be fixed before it can be
implemented without extensive customization (actually, correction).

The only folks who may get unrestricted access in our very multi-tenancy
configured system will be admins, helpdesk managers, and the security
team.  Security would rather that no one had it.

By General Access do you mean membership in one company under Access
Restrictions?  All of our LDAP imported customer records will be members
of a single "UNT Customers" company, which has no groups, only
Organizations and Departments; all who are support staff will have
separate logins in one of the many IT support companies and membership
on one or more of their subordinate support groups.

Roger, what permissions do you plan to use for customers?

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center
http://remedy.unt.edu/helpdesk/

  _____