I think the premise for the initial question, and with that, the ongoing
discussion, to be a bit flawed.

"On a higher level.... Do you think BMC has really done a good job of making
ITSM 7 so robust in workflow, GUI and ITIL/standards compliance that they
truly are no longer marketing Remedy as a development platform but as a
suite of ready-to-go applications?"

BMC/Remedy has always marketed ITSM as a suite of ready-to-go applications
and the AR System as a development platform. I don't think that has ever
changed and I definitely think there is a distinction between the two.

It's been my experience that most customers seeking a Help Desk tool are
searching for an out of the box solution and do not want to custom build the
application as the cost for such services normally outweighs the cost of
purchasing an application (though in the long run, with ongoing maintenance,
and support and yadda yadda yadda, the scale shifts to the oob app costing
more. However, we also know that next year's dollars are rarely considered
in the buy vs. build model).

And why wouldn't BMC market the hell out of ITSM 7.0? What's their reason
not to? Is BMC/Remedy supposed to develop an app that is conducive to
customization or develop an app that meets the needs of their customers
(with the ability to add customizations if needed)? Microsoft doesn't market
Word as a development platform, even though with a few VB.Net skills you can
make Word sing and dance to your heart's content. Customers want a word
processing package to work (ok, all of you MS haters out there, don't
start), end of story. They don't want a word processing package that they
have to customize to meet their needs. Same with a HelpDesk. Except that,
let's face it, everyone wants a HelpDesk tool to do things just a touch
differently, or to capture just a little bit different data, so you still
have that flexibility.

It may be that gone are the days for large scale customizations to the out
of the box ITSM suite, but I do not think that the days for custom-built
apps on the AR System platform are long gone. BMC/Remedy continues to add
new functionality to the base platform and they continue to integrate other
apps (Topology Discovery, Configuration Management, etc) with the AR System.

If you believe that your days are numbered as a custom developer on the AR
System platform then move over because I'm sure there are plenty of
developers right here on the ARSList more than willing to pick up the slack.

And, btw, the ITSM Suite is not perfect, but I've demo'd the app to plenty
of customers who thought it was more than adequate to meet their needs. It
does offer some **interesting** challenges, but over all, I'm convinced it's
a good product.

Just my .02.

Scott Parrish
IT Prophets, LLC