I think Fred is right on the mark.

FWIW: I think the reason that the order (which is just one part of the
structure) of the XML is checked before the filters are invoked is
that the WebService must first parse the XML, and the parser is doing
it in a "normal" XML WSDL based way. This error is generated by the
web server component of the path to the ARS server and not from the
ARS server itself. While I have not tested it I would imagine that
this error is even thrown before the user credentials are checked
against the ARS server. So I doubt the ARS server ever sees any
traffic from a "malformed XML document".

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach