Yes, I have been working a part-time telecommute job for the 2 years I
have had a full-time permanent job.  I support a company locally that
has about 7-8 custom apps plus Help Desk 6.x supporting operations
throughout the company.  They never had need for a full-time Remedy
Diva, but they got pretty nervous when I came up with a full-time gig.
Now I just support them and do custom stuff on an as-needed basis,
working weekends and/or evenings.  May only be a few extra hours a
month, so the load isn't too much and they can call me or email me
pretty much anytime.  Since it's also local, worse case (like server
upgrades), I can just carve out time on the weekends to go into the
office.

I will occasionally take on other 'part-time' limited type of gigs that
I can do from home via remote VPN and telephone also.  Heck, I've got a
guy out there right now, probably trying to round up more telecommute
opportunities for me - yihaw!

I would say there are not a lot of opportunities, but there is no good
reason there shouldn't be.  If I could have the benefits of a full-time
perm job but work remote from home and have a few really good clients to
keep me from being bored, that would be the ideal situation. And, the
advantage to me is that some of the stuff I figure out for one company
ends up being useful for the other company and vice versa.  The problem
I see with most of the 'telecommute' opportunities is that there is
still a lot of 'travel' involved.  In other words, you can telecommute
when you are not traveling...LOL.

:-)

Candace