The lifestyle of a independent consultant is not for everyone . . .

On the positive side:

   - Compensation varies, but most independent consultants (whether Remedy
or not) make about twice as much as the client's employees they work with
   - Consultants are typically involved with the "core" of a project and
typically avoid most maintenance issues
   - Moving from client to client, you gain a much deeper understanding and
much broader perspective of IT tools/technologies/procedures

On the negative side:

   - Independent consultants are not paid for holidays, vacations, or sick
days
   - Independent consultants pay for their own medical, prescription,
dental, and vision plans
   - Independent consultants pay for their own general liability and
professional liability insurance
   - Independent consultants who are incorporated, must file a variety of
state and federal forms (and pay a variety of fees)
   - Independent consultants who are incorporated, also must manage payroll
issues and make contributions to mandated state and federal programs
   - Independent consultants may or may not travel extensively -- the deeper
your expertise and the higher your bill rate, the more likely you will
travel
   - Independent consultants ride market demand for services -- if IT
industry Remedy spending drops, demand for Remedy consultants may also drop
   - Independent consultants must perform their own marketing and sales
efforts, or pay an agency 20%-40% to find engagements

Shawn also mentioned 401(k) plans and IRA plans.  Everyone has the ability
to contribute to an IRA (traditional or Roth).  Independent consultants who
are also incorporated (and thus an employee of their corporation) have the
option of setting up a 401(k) plan, and you can have your company make
contributions.  (It's all about sheltering raw revenue in order to minimize
taxes.)  Independent consultants who are not incorporated, do not have this
option, but may qualify for a SEP IRA.

There are several options for handling travel expenses.  Years ago, it was
common to turn in receipts and your client would reimburse you for your
travel expenses (flights, rental car, hotel, meals, etc.).  Today, it's much
more common to see an "all inclusive" bill rate, which bundles consulting
fees and travel expenses, into an hourly rate.  This is much easier for the
client (one rate for everything) and gives you the option of boasting your
income by traveling economically, or improve your travel lifestyle at the
expense of reducing income.

By the way, my background:

   - Longtime IT Director and client, selecting and purchasing consulting
services from a variety of sources
   - Longtime professional services manager, running teams of consultants
for companies like Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC)
   - Longtime agency manager, finding engagements for independent
consultants and taking a percentage of each invoice
   - Longtime independent consultant, incorporated in California, with
access to a ton of additional information

Thinking of becoming an independent consultant?  Feel free to call if you
want to learn more.

-- Bing

Bradford Bingel ("Bing")
ITM3 California