-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Axton
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 11:25 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Mid-Tier sending cleartext passwords ?

I would not be surprised.  There are a number of places where the
username/password are handed off:

- when user fills in login.jsp, the username/password is sent to the
mid-tier server from the browser
- when the mid-tier receives the username/password, it is sent to the
arserver
- when the arserver receives the username/password, it is sent to the ldap
server (if using the area/ldap plugin)

SSL only addresses the last hand-off.  If you want to cover the first
hand-off, use https instead of http.

If you want to cover the second hand-off, force client based encryption.
This still uses a simple algorithm to encrypt the password (DES).  For
stronger encryption, you can either (1) purchase the remedy encryption
products, or (2) create a tunnel of your own.
The encryption algorithm used for the free encryption is: 512-bit RSA
algorithm with cipher block chaining for the public/private key pair.
For the session key, it :uses a DES (Data Encryption Standard) 56-bit
algorithm.

Axton Grams