Silly question, but did you set the enviromental variable two task?  If
not look in your installation docs and you'll find the specifics on how to
set that and other db enviromental variables.

Ben Cantatore
Remedy Administrator
Avon
(914) 935-2946

Dwayne Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
06/06/2007 12:41 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
ARSystem can't login to the database following installation

Hello everyone,

I am installing AR System as non-root. (ARS 7.01 patch 2, Linux server,
Oracle 10.2 db) onto a database copied from another server.

Before installing I "tnsping" the new database.

When the installer asks me for the "ARAdmin" password to the database I
give it the same password I use to log in via TOAD, and via sqlplus on the
Linux machine.  The installation goes to completion, but on the start-up
of the ARSystem I get:

"
390600 : Failure while trying to connect to the SQL database.
Please ensure the SQL database is running or contact the Database
Administrator for help (ARERR 550)
   ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

390600 : Cannot initialize contact with SQL database (ARERR 551)
   Stop server

390600 : AR System server terminated -- fatal error encountered (ARNOTE
21).
"

I have repeated the installation about ten times, sometimes copying and
pasting the password, sometimes having somebody else enter it, just to
make sure I am entering the correct password.  I am sure that at least ONE
of those ten times I entered it correctly, but the ARSystem still can't
log into the database.

All the logs show the same "invalid username/password" message, but of
course they don't say what password the system is using so it isn't very
helpful.

Any suggestions (other than try ten more times)?

Dwayne Martin
Computing Support
James Madison University