From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Jarl Grøneng
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 12:57 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Hypothetical

AR Server as middleware? Huh, it cant handle larger xml than a few Kb.
Storing XML in a database as tables and fields(like its done in AR
System) are not the prefered method when talking about performance.

We all love the Malloc 300 errormessage when using webservices....
--
Jarl

On 6/9/07, Chris Woyton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Here's an opposing thought worth considering...
>
> Going back to the spirit of ARS being a Rapid Development Platform,
> why would BMC encourage development of the *same thing* that's out
> there already, regardless of who produced it? Many have lost sight of
> ARS as a development medium because it's been perceived as "just a
> Help Desk" for quite some time - and adding 50 more flavors of IT
> Request/Service Management won't do much to fix that perception.
>
> Requiring partners to produce products that are in non-competition is
> certainly part of the goal - money drives everything, as they say.
> However, it may also be construed as pushing the horizontal boundaries
> of the platform - pushing ISV's to take the product and move it into other
arenas.
> There's obviously some interest in taking advantage of this facility,
> so instead of ITSM-esque applications, how about Fleet Management,
> Document Management, Middleware (Web Services + ARDBC + Workflow
> Engine is a dynamite combo for this), Financial Applications, etc.
>
> IMHO, those things add value to the platform - another ITSM product doesn't.
> A bigger pie provides revenue to BMC, no doubt, but it also gives the
> ISV a chance at more than crumbs.
>
> -Chris Woyton
> ATS, TuringSMI
>
> ps with regards to Robert's comment on CMDB, another thought comes to
> mind - I've often pondered using the OBJSTR sub-system as a
> development medium all on its own. Imagine this - you build a core set
> of Classes for a particular use, for example,
> Middleware/Data-Transfer. When a new Data Source becomes available,
> specialized a Sub-Class for it. Consumers of the data can then point
> to the specific Sub-Class or the root Parent Class (or at any point in
> the tree) depending on what data they need to use. Or, in a Request
> Management application, rather than providing different "Views" of an
> app to suit different groups, specialize a Sub-Class for that Group
> such that common data is shared, but specific data is segmented. Data
> sets could be used to support Tenancy in a model like this and the Recon
Engine could facilitate inter-application integration (as well as
exta-application).