-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Susan Palmer
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:36 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: BMC Rant

------=_Part_18267_15502493.1181684144702

I have found when I put the logs on initially they barely look at them
if
the ticket goes overseas and often ask for the log that is already
there.  I
try to be diligent and know the drills and include every log I can think
of
demonstrating the issue.  Sometimes requiring several updates to the
tickets
since you are limited as to how many you can attach at one time.  I am
always asked for additional things and when I ask why they need them
there's
no answer especially when I know the info doesn't matter.

I guess one issue I have is that when I finally get the initial first
contact back to me, the following contacts take quite a while.  It
appears
the first contact satisfies the SLA and then it doesn't seem to count
after
that.  They tend to leave the status in Customer Response like they are
waiting for something from me.   If the ticket ends up in India it seems
stay there.  I understand the concept of follow the sun, but the tickets
don't.  I guess it's too difficult to doc what they've done and let the
next
person take over.  I've found part of it is timing ... knowing when to
submit that ticket.

But it's nothing I can change nor seem to be able to influence.
Therefore
.... I have to let go.  No more soap box for today ... maybe even for
this
week!

Susan

On 6/12/07, strauss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ** You must not have ever worked with Microsoft premium or paid
> support; IMHO, for server products, they have no competition.  In my
> personal experience, they will not let you hang up the phone until
they are
> satisfied that the problem has been solved (one call lasted from 1 AM
to 4
> AM - they remained on the toll-free line during all of the re-starts
of DNS
> and AD), and then they follow up for several days afterwards to make
sure
> that you completed all necessary actions to prevent reoccurrence of
the
> problem, and they help you document the solution.  I have only had to
use it
> twice, but it was exceptional.  Not to be confused with "free" support
for
> consumer products, which NO ONE does well.
>
> I must miss out on a lot of the frustration others have experienced by
not
> having/paying for BMC phone support.  When I submit a new issue on the
web
> it is usually accompanied by a long explanation of what I have seen
and
> tried, and loads of log files and other data.  These tickets don't
spend
> much time with overseas frontline techs - they are quickly
> baffled/overwhelmed and escalate the ticket to someone who might know
> something.  Once you reach the second level of BMC support, especially
with
> some of the more experienced people, response tends to be much better
and
> quite often they begin a steady interchange with the backline
engineers on
> your behalf.  If the problem is serious, they start calling me (I
can't call
> them) and scheduling webexes with the engineers watching to see the
problem
> in action.  On the other hand, on those occasions when I just casually
(or
> impatiently) toss a newly observed application error into the
submission
> form without logs or other detail, I know that I can expect to pay for
it
> later answering successive, inane questions from frontline techs who
are
> just following their troubleshooting scripts.  The process takes
longer
> since I did not perform due diligence troubleshooting up front, and
report
> all of my results in the initial ticket submission.
>
> Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
> Remedy Database Administrator
> University of North Texas Computing Center
> http://remedy.unt.edu/helpdesk/
>

>  ------------------------------

I've got
> a high priority ticket open right now that I haven't heard from BMC
support
> in a few days now, despite updating the ticket asking for a call.
>
> On the other hand, other companies are much worse.  Microsoft's
support is
> a joke, and Adobe is abysmal.  I was working on an Adobe product that
was
> having issues and their average response time for a server down is
about a
> month, based on my experiences.  They also randomly close out their
tickets
> and ask you to open a new one if you still have the problem.  On my
recent
> server down with Adobe, I had to complain to my sales rep, who then
pawned
> it off on someone else, and eventually it was dropped again until I
told my
> sales rep that we were starting to evaluate what other software we
could use
> since support for their products were non-existent.  That worked, my
issue
> got escalated up to the VP over Adobe's support staff.  The issue was
> eventually resolved.
>
> So while I do feel that on average customer support is getting worse
and
> worse, I really wish that a company whose flagship product is used for
> helpdesks around the world wouldn't follow that trend.
>
> __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with HTML
in
> it___

the Answers Are"

------=_Part_18267_15502493.1181684144702

**
at=
 them if the ticket goes overseas and often ask for the log that is
already=
 there.&nbsp; I try to be diligent and know the&nbsp;drills and include
eve=
ry log I can think of demonstrating the issue.&nbsp; Sometimes requiring
se=
veral updates to the tickets since you are limited as to how many you
can a=
ttach at one time.&nbsp; I am always asked for additional things and
when I=
 ask why they need them there&#39;s no answer especially when I know the
in=
fo doesn&#39;t matter.&nbsp;=20
first =
contact back to me, the following contacts take quite a while.&nbsp; It
app=
ears the first contact satisfies the SLA and then it doesn&#39;t seem to
co=
unt after that.&nbsp; They tend to leave the status in Customer Response
li=
ke they are waiting for something from me.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If the
ticket e=
nds up in India it seems to stay there.&nbsp; I understand the concept
of f=
ollow the sun, but the tickets don&#39;t.&nbsp; I guess it&#39;s too
diffic=
ult to doc what they&#39;ve done and let the next person take
over.&nbsp; I=
&#39;ve found part of it is timing ... knowing when to submit that
ticket.&=
nbsp;=20
influence.&nb=
sp; Therefore .... I have to let go.&nbsp; No more soap box for today
... m=
aybe even for this week!</div>
class=3D"gmail_sendername">=
strauss</b> &lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]
y.acs.unt.edu</a>&gt; wrote:</span>
0px 0=
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">**=20
color=3D"#0000ff=
" size=3D"2">You must not have ever worked with Microsoft premium or
paid s=
upport;&nbsp;IMHO, for server products, they have no
competition.&nbsp;&nbs=
p;In my personal experience, they will not let you hang up the phone
until =
they are satisfied that the problem has been solved (one call lasted
from 1=
 AM to 4 AM - they remained on the toll-free&nbsp;line during all of the
re=
-starts of DNS and AD), and then they follow up for several days
afterwards=
&nbsp;to make sure that you completed all necessary actions to prevent
reoc=
currence of the problem, and they help you document the solution.&nbsp;
I h=
ave only had to use it twice, but it was exceptional.&nbsp; Not to be
confu=
sed with &quot;free&quot; support for consumer products, which NO ONE
does =
well.
color=3D"#0000ff=
color=3D"#0000ff=
" size=3D"2">I must miss out on a lot of the frustration others have
experi=
enced&nbsp;by not having/paying for BMC phone support.&nbsp; When I
submit =
a new issue on the web it is usually accompanied by a long explanation
of w=
hat I have seen and tried, and loads of log files and other data.&nbsp;
The=
se tickets don&#39;t spend much time with overseas frontline techs -
they a=
re quickly baffled/overwhelmed and escalate the ticket to someone who
might=
 know something.&nbsp; Once you reach the second level of BMC support,
espe=
cially with some of the more experienced people, response tends to be
much =
better and quite often they begin a steady interchange with the backline
en=
gineers on your behalf.&nbsp; If the problem is serious, they start
calling=
 me (I can&#39;t call them) and scheduling webexes with the engineers
watch=
ing to see the problem in action.&nbsp; On the other hand, on those
occasio=
ns when I just casually (or impatiently) toss a newly observed
application =
error into the submission form without logs or other detail, I know that
I =
can expect to pay for it later answering successive, inane questions
from f=
rontline techs who are just following their troubleshooting
scripts.&nbsp; =
The process takes longer since I did not perform due diligence
troubleshoot=
ing up front, and report all of my results in the initial ticket
submission=
.
Administr=
ator<br>University of North Texas Computing Center<br><a
onclick=3D"return =
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"
href=3D"http://remedy.unt.edu/helpde=
sk/" target=3D"_blank">
#000=
0ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<hr>
discuss=
ion list(ARSList) [mailto:<a onclick=3D"return
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,ev=
ent,this)" href=3D"mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG";
target=3D"_blank">[EMAIL PROTECTED]
SLIST.ORG
12, =
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,e=
vent,this)" href=3D"mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG";
target=3D"_blank">[EMAIL PROTECTED]
RSLIST.ORG
class=
=3D"q">
comple=
tely with what you&#39;ve written, and I&#39;ve had to deal with pretty
muc=
h everything you wrote here within the past few months.&nbsp; I&#39;ve
got =
a high priority&nbsp;ticket open right now that I haven&#39;t heard from
BM=
C support in a few days now, despite updating the ticket asking for a
call.
size=3D"2"></font></span>=
&nbsp;</div>
other h=
and, other companies are much worse.&nbsp; Microsoft&#39;s support is a
jok=
e, and Adobe is abysmal.&nbsp; I was working on an Adobe product that
was h=
aving issues and their average response time for a server down is about
a m=
onth, based on my experiences.&nbsp; They also randomly close out their
tic=
kets and ask you to open a new one if you still have the problem.&nbsp;
On =
my recent server down with Adobe, I had to complain to my sales rep, who
th=
en pawned it off on someone else, and eventually it was dropped again
until=
 I told my sales rep that we were starting to evaluate what other
software =
we could use since support for their products were non-existent.&nbsp;
That=
 worked, my issue got escalated up to the VP over Adobe&#39;s support
staff=
.&nbsp; The issue was eventually resolved.
size=3D"2"></font></span>=
&nbsp;</div>
do =
feel that on average customer support is getting worse and worse, I
really =
wish that a company whose flagship product is used for helpdesks around
the=
 world wouldn&#39;t follow that trend.
id=3D"q_11321bcba92a2a0d_3">__20060125______________=
_________This posting was submitted with HTML in it___