________________________________

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Cupp, Michael E Jr. CTR USAF
AFRL/SNOD
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 11:54 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: $NULL$ != $NULL$

I'm not an MS SQL Guy, but 15+ years in Oracle.

Null (in Oracle) essentially means 'I don't know the value'.

I.e - If I have 2 values, A and B.  If A and B are both 0, then I know
that A=0 and B=0, therefore A=B

If either A or B is null, I can say A=0, B=null or 'I don't know the
value of B'.  Therefore, I cannot say that A=B, so I must assume that A
<> B.

Works for both null is well.  If I don't know the values for A and B,
how can I know they are the same?