Yeah, 32 is pretty excessive, but I was trying to see if I could get
the behavior to change.

Just to be clear, updating the FT index when a record changes take
virtually no time at all. It's the initial indexing when one first
marks a field to be full text indexed that's "locking up" the server.

My dev server has the DB, ARS, and FTS on the same box (production has
separate HW for ARS and SQL). It's a Dell 1850, two 3GHz Xeon CPU
(single core), 4GB RAM, HW resources really doesn't seem to be the
issue.

Mike