Date: Fri 15 Jun 16:12:55 EDT 2007
From: "Bowen, Marc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Add To Address Book | This is Spam
Subject: RE: Migrator tool not replacing record SOLVED
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I performed data migration the same way you described and I received the
desired results.
Another way that I usually perform migrations (if I don't want
everything) is to right click on the form and choose Form Data Only,
select the server then when the data migration setting come up choose
data mode (bottom left under data settings) then choose search
selection, enter my search criteria then choose Replace Old Entry with
New Entry.  I also choose Ignore required fields and pattern matching.
If this doesn't work the same for you could the problem be that you are
using it on a 6.3 server? (even though it shouldn't be a problem)

Migrator 7.01
Server 7.01 patch 1
Oracle 10.2
Unix
Sun OS 5.10

Marc Bowen
Remedy Skilled Professional
Office (201) 307-8274
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dwayne Martin
Computing Support
James Madison University

--- Begin Message ---
My joy has turned to sorrow.  Yesterday I got the Migrator tool to "Replace Old
Record with New Record."

Today I am trying again with a different form.  I have the same record in both
servers.  I made some changes in the destination server record.  Then I use the
"right click" method that Frederick described (see below) and select the record
and run the migration.  But the changes still remain in the destination record.

My configuraton still says "Replace Old Record with New Record."
My "Search" string pulls up the correct record in a User tool query.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Dwayne Martin
Computing Support
James Madison University

--- Begin Message ---
Thanks to all who replied, including those who said that Migrator is a piece of
junk. For a while I was afraid that we had made a big mistake in buying it. I
agree with Ben that if they are going to charge money for it they should make
sure it works in all modes, not just in a special esoteric method.

Thanks especially to Frederick for the special esoteric method! I tried the
method described below, and IT WORKED!  The record data in the destination
server got set back to the way it was.

I had to go into Tools > Options and change Data Migration Mode to "Migrate
Query Selection."  Then when the Data Migration Settings window opened it said
"Invalid Qualification string" before I had even entered it.  That scared me
for a bit.

Is the "Frederick" method even in the manual?  I don't see it, but I am very
good at looking right at things and not seeing them.

Thanks again,
Dwayne