with 9i I could keep my DB total memory around 768 meg of ram..
With 10i I am currently at 2 Gig,  performance drops off around 1.2 gig or
so..
optimum is around 1920 .. Hope this helps the dba some.. But if he thinks he
doesn't need this much and thinks he knows better.. all I have to say is
"sorry duud, your performance is not getting any better, till he
goes". 10.iworks great, but is a memory intensive.
hope that helps some..

env 10.2.0.3 on solaris 10, sun fire V240
tell him to use addm !