________________________________

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kaiser Norm E CIV USAF 96
CS/SCCE
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:18 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Multiple Logons Error Weirdness

Here's an oddity for everyone's amusement.  I have a user who logs into
Remedy via VPN from home.  This morning he forgot to log off Remedy when
he left the house.  When he arrived at work this morning, lo and behold
he gets the error that he is logged on at another workstation.  He's
prompted if he wants to take over the license from the other session.
He clicks yes.  Nothing happens.  He still can't log in.  Each time he
attempts to log in, he gets prompted about being logged in at another
machine.

So the Remedy admin goes in and releases his license.  That does
nothing.  He still gets the message and can't log in.

OK, some quick background.  We do Cross Reference Blank Password here,
whereby we authenticate against the domain controller.

So the Remedy admin calls me to help.  Since I don't know what the
user's domain password is, from my machine I go into the User tool and
hard code a password for him.  I then log in as him using the hardcoded
password.  I get in just fine.  I then clear his password to reactivate
Cross Reference Blank Password.  I then head downstairs to see with my
own two eyes if the problem is now fixed.

Now looking over the user's shoulder, I ask him to attempt to log on.
Sure enough, he gets the "logged on to another machine" message! So I
take over, log him off, log on with an admin account, and hard code a
password for him.  I then log on as him.  The message does not appear!
Then I log him off, clear his password to reactivate Cross Reference
Blank Password, and ask him to log on with his domain password.

Sure enough, the problem is fixed.

Is this weird or what? For some reason having the account configured
with a blank password caused the problem to persist.  Hard coding a
password, logging on, logging off, and then clearing the password fixed
the problem.

Seems like a bug to me.  Anyone else ever seen this?

Norm

it___