I had the same exact problem, it turned out the issue was a bad connection
between my application server and database server.  We were able to ping,
tnsping, connect to the database, ect.  It wasn't until Alfred had us
enable logging and examine to the log and see how long it was taking to
execute the sql commands and how long it took to return the results that
we found the source of the problem.  Turned out it was 2 bad ports on a
new switch and I think a bad cable (also new).

Ben Cantatore
Remedy Administrator
Avon
(914) 935-2946

"Zebel, Colby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
07/20/2007 06:06 AM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
Service hanging

Hi,

I'm seeing an issue where the Remedy service simply sits and hangs at a
'starting' status.  Nothing is logged in the Remedy, NT, or DB logs.  If
I point this app server at my dev database the service will start and if
I point the dev app server at this database the dev service does the
same thing.  Leading me to believe it's an issue with the database.  I
can connect from the app server to the database via odbcping and
enterprise manager and I have confirmed the correct ownership of objects
in the db.  This was working fine until an attempt was made to restart
the service early this morning.  Nothing has changed on the database
since the last restart.  Any ideas? I'm a little desperate...

Environment:
Win2k server (OS and remote DB)
ARS 7.0.1 patch 1
SQL Server 2000

Thanks!
Colby

Colby Zebel, Remedy Developer/Administrator
Technisource (formerly IntelliMark)
Office - 717.790.0404 x5288
Mobile - 717.919.4738
[EMAIL PROTECTED]