I for one prefer old age.

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Stephen Willis
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 2:31 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: OT: JOB posting and Nabble

I think a "common sense" course might be in order before re-taking
algebra

Where the heck do you get: 16692 / 296410404 = 5.613 ? You just have to
glance at that to see that its way way off

A murder rate of 5.6 % would mean that on average more than one of every
20 people get murdered in the US each year. If this was true almost
nobody would get to old age before getting murdered.

Stephen

>From: "Hromyak, Nicholas (DHCS-ITSD)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
>Subject: Re: OT: JOB posting and Nabble
>Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:17:05 -0700
>
>Apparently, I was not clear.
>

>Please look at the numbers below
>
>When I divide the FBI's numbers of 16,692 murders / 296,410,404 the
>population in 2005 I get 5.613.
>
>Please TRY IT!
>
>16692 / 296410404 = 5.613
>
>It's been a while since I did my Algebra, but I think that is correct.
>
>Now when I look at how to get a percentage according to this site
>
>http://www.blurtit.com/q845591.html
>

>The equation can be put up as follows:
>(Given amount/ Total amount) x100
>
>For example if John scores 60 out of 75 in mathematics we can find the
>percentage of his marks by dividing 60 by 75 which comes to be 0.8 and
>then multiplying it by 100 which gives us the percentage of his marks
>in math which is 80%.
>(60/75) x 100 = 80%
>

>Hence
>
>5.6%
>

>According to the FBI
>
>http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_01.html
>
>In 2005 there were 16,692 murders in a population of 296,410,404 people

>in the united states.
>
>That's 5.6% murdered in the U.S.

States.