It seems that the problem is that we were using Arial and the 7.0.1 User tool
doesn't render the pages correctly with the Arial font, although the Admin
tool does.

Can anyone else verify this?  I'd like to know if this problem is unique to
our installation or a general bug in the v7 User Client.

If you have the 7.0.1 patch 3 User and Admin clients, set the font for the
"System Field" type to Arial in both clients and then open any form with a
"Standard" View in both clients and check to see whether the form/view
appears horizontally compressed in the User Client or expanded in the Admin
client relative to the other.