Just a thought, but instead of attaching the files directly to the request
you are on, what if it was a child form, with a Submit-Only, single field,
attachment pool?

This way, to upload a new attachment, a new child record has to be created,
and you know who & when did it. This would also keep historical records, you
could compare the file at each and every stage/change that took place, or if
you don't need this, you could simply delete the previous records.

I've not worked through this completely, so I'm not sure what complications
might arise (though, immediately I can think of the fact users will have to
open the child record before they can get to the attachment) .

HTH
Shawn Stonequist
EMNS, Inc.
  _____