Kathy,

Here is one approach but it will take a little time to implement...
create a separate form to store all of the attachments.

On the tickets use either a table field to display the attachments
linked to the ticket or a dialog.  I use a dialog here.  Users click a
button and a popup is displayed. From this popup users [based on
permissions] can add, view, save to disk or delete attachments.

The 'delete' option does not really delete the attachment record but
marks it as disabled.  There is a checkbox on the screen to show
'deleted' attachments.

Each attachment on this dialog displays the user and the timestamp of
when they added it and/or deleted it. This approach preserves the
attachments and tracks who did what when.

Stephen