David,

"Licensing policies have not changed.  Purchasing requirements have not
changed.  The same restrictions on license usage will be in place with
AR System 7.1.00 that are in place today.  Licensing is not changing -
only the need for keys."

Have there been discussions within BMC on how to provide an affordable
means for independent consultants, or developers who desire to learn
other ARS products on their home computers, to acquire some type of
limited license?

For me, the 2000-record limit is fine.  I can still learn to administer
and develop with each of the OOB packages with small record sets.

My employer has spent a good deal of money on ARS licenses and they are
happy with the product.  They won't however spend $10,000 to $20,000 per
OOB package just so I can increase my development experience.

I would be willing to spend $500 - $1000 per year out of my own pocket
for a limited license to use all the ARS packages on my home (not
office) computers.  I am sure others would as well. This could be
another revenue stream (albeit small) for BMC with probably no
additional overhead for your company. I could purchase the license
through a regular Remedy support provider.

My $0.02.  I hope a solution is forthcoming.

Stephen