Arthur,

"each thread would be relieved as soon as the modify of that one
record is completed in the View form"

You are completely correct about that. However, where you think
"completed" should be reached is actually not where it actually ends.

The transaction (or API call if you prefer) is not complete until
after all filters for that ARS Server operation has completed. If you
think of ARS as an application server then I think your applying a bit
to "modern" of a model than what ARS is actually modeled after. I
think you need to consider ARS more of an data store in the more
modern "application server" model. In fact I have often thought of
filters more as a RDBMS trigger than as a "workflow engine" portion of
an application server. ( And I can easily see how modern programmers
would see them differently.)

So... in short... until after all of the filters have finished, the
ARS server does not commit (fully) the RDBMS data changes that might
be necessary for the API call. And thus, the event is not complete
until the transaction is fully committed to the data store. Then the
ARS server returns a "status code" describing any Messages or error
conditions that were issued during the transaction back to the caller.
That is the completion of the API call.

Or at least that is how I see the ARS API universe.

Now if you turn to the C API, there might be a better option...

Specifically I would look at ARBeginBulkEntryTransaction as a possible
way to package and send multiple transactions as a single unit. You
however get a list of "status code"s per each api call that was sent
in the BulkEntry.

Maybe in the v7.1 Java API there will be an equivalent
ARBeginBulkEntryTransaction type of function, but for now, I do not
know of any interface to that feature set of the C API.

But I will also add... that I would expect the client program to be
"held" waiting for the list of status codes from the bulk transaction
just as it would for a single transaction. I just hope that there is
some efficiency's gained by sending them as a set instead of in
multiple trips across the network. I would also expect that multiple
server threads would be tied up dealing with a single
ARBeginBulkEntryTransaction too. (But that is mostly speculation as I
do not speak C. :)

Hope that helps.

--
Carey Matthew Black