Tarun,

The "duration" is for the version that you are trained on. (With an
"upgraded path" from version to version by taking another class.)
Given that BMC is cranking out a new version a year (or about that
fast) and that they only support "Current" +2(previous current
versions) That means that for a version "N" training you can expect
about a three year cycle before it is "of no interest" to most of the
customer base. (And some customers will want "N+1" trained people the
day after the software is shipped too.) So one to three years is a
good estimate if you take no further training. But if you plan on one
class a year, then you can keep up with the version release and stay
current from then on.

Cost will very quite a bit, so call up the trainers and see if you can
strike a deal. Note that some partners offer some of the classes for
RSP certification, but I do not know of any who offer all of the
classes.

As far as knowledge requirements....

    I was once lead to believe that there is an internal "must pass
ratio" for the classes and the certifications. So to some extent, the
real limit is based on the other people that you are in the class
with. If you know more about ARS than them, then you likely will be
certified. If you have even the most basic programming skills then ARS
is forgiving enough, and easy enough to pickup. ( Do you understand a
If..Then.. Else construct? [Note:Very similar to the previous sentence
in this paragraph, or the one coming up next too. :]  If so then you
know all of the basics for the Admin 2, and maybe Admin 3 class IMHO.)

However, putting that idea aside for the moment.... If your a quick
learner, and have some very basic programming experience, then I would
expect that you could walk in to the first class without ever having
seen ARS, then sit through all of the classes (back to back if you can
get them scheduled that way) and likely pass the RSP test at the end.
( I think a 70 was a passing grade, but I suspect that some have
passed with much less than that from time to time.)

However if your motivation is to really understand what your doing,
then I would think that what Michiel suggested is a better approach to
the process than a "boot camp" approach to the certification. There
are very few classes that even come close to teaching you like real
world experience can. I would focus on building from scratch, and then
trying to figure out what someone else built from scratch. When you
master those skills, then there is nothing you can not do within the
boundary of this system.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black