We also are running SQL2005 in 2000 compat mode for our ARSystem DB. No
problems what-so-ever (at this point :-) )

When you installed SQL 2005, it probably defaulted to a named
instance... Did you try to specify SERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME?? I've
installed clean installations to 2005 without any issues...

HTH

Thanks-n-advance;

HDT Platform Incident / Problem Manager & Architect
Robert Molenda
IT OS PA
Tel: +1 408 503 2701
Fax: +1 408 503 2912