        -----Original Message-----
        From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of strauss
        Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:21 PM
        To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
        Subject: Re: How you you guys analyze ITSM 7 code? Dev Plus?
Master AR Suite? No logging doesn't count.

        **
        <random speculation> It seems like some of the Windows-based
Remedy ARS folks are honing their .NET skills, which will help them if
their organizations move from Remedy to Microsoft System Center Service
Manager once it becomes a mature piece of their System Center suite.  I
suspect that a lot of IT managers will take a serious look at the cost
comparison in a couple of years, once all of the System Center (2007/8
versions of SMS 2003, etc.) are well established in their
infrastructures; I know ours will.  At that point, the BMC push to
packaged apps over custom (or reasonably customizable) apps may begin to
hurt them, as comparable packaged solutions with local extensibility
begin to compete at lower price points. ARS admins will have been
reduced to tiptoeing around the fringe of the dark (and dangerous)
bowels of ITSM, and be less able to deliver the kind of deep adaptations
to our environments that were the strength of the platform in the past.
</random speculation>

        On a more serious note, I would do almost anything to get my
hands on an honest-to-gosh, working version of MasterARSuite for ARS
7.1, even if all they did was update the old one to recognize the new
definitions and programming features.  It was by far the best diagnostic
and troubleshooting tool I ever had, and made it much easier to judge
the implications of any proposed customizations - which today are more
of a "trial, error, log, fix, and try again" process.  And that is just
nibbling around the fringes of ITSM 7.

        Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
        Remedy Database Administrator
        University of North Texas Computing Center

        P.S. No tarring or feathering, please - I'm just speculating
since this thread has degenerated enough to leave us writhing in ancient
petroleum-based substances.