I'm not completely sure about this, but I think an EXTERNAL() block has to represent an entire sub-qualifier which could evaluate to true or false on its own.
For example, the menu qualification could look like this:

'Group List' LIKE ( "10015;%" )) OR (EXTERNAL($temp_qualifier$)) OR ....

where $temp_qualifier$ would contain the text (probably dynamically created by an active link):

  'Group List' LIKE "%;10015;%"

In your example, however, the EXTERNAL() operators are not even necessary.

('Group List' LIKE ($Support_Main_Group_ID$ + ";%")) OR (
'Group List' LIKE ("%;" + $Support_Main_Group_ID$)) + ....

should work just fine.
Well, except that you might have to use the field ID of $Support_Main_Group_ID$ instead (e.g. 'GroupList LIKE ($536870912$ + ":%")), because menus aren't defined in the context of a specific form.

Regards,
Thilo Stapff

Paul Blasquez wrote:
Hello,

I am new to Remedy development; a lot of the questions I will have may
be very elementary to most of you, but I can assure you I will go
through all the pertinent documentation and look through the archives of
arslist as well as the remedy forum that I have joined, before I ask
here.  So, please excuse my ignorance, I hate being the new guy as much
as you hate dealing with him. ;)

Now for my issue:

I am having a tough time understanding how the EXTERNAL() operator
works, if someone could provide a working example of the syntax that
would help quite a bit.  I think I'm going to need this operator a lot
as I have a need to create menus using dynamic qualifications and this
seems to be the way to go.

For example:

I have created a Menu named 'GroupMenu', it simply contains all groups
with group ids between 1000 and 14999.  I have attached that menu to a
character field named 'Queue' on my main form.  When the user chooses a
group, an active-link populates another, hidden, character field with
the Group ID.  I have set up the core field 'Assigned To' with a NULL
menu, and given it the style of drop-down.  An active link fires when
the 'Assigned To' field gains focus, looking up what users have that
group id in their group list, and displaying the active-link pop-up list
for the user to choose from.

What I would much rather do is have a menu named 'UserMenu' attached to
the 'Assigned To' field, and have it do the same qualification as the
current active-link does on group id.  I'm fairly certain that the
EXTERNAL() operator should allow me to do this, but I am having trouble
figuring out the correct syntax to use on the menu qualification, as the
Basic Guide document does not have an example.  This is what I have
tried:

( 'Group List' LIKE ( EXTERNAL($Support_Main_Group_ID$) +  ";%" )) OR (
'Group List' LIKE (( "%;"  + EXTERNAL($Support_Main_Group_ID$)) +  ";%"
)) OR ( 'Computed Grp List' LIKE ( EXTERNAL($Support_Main_Group_ID$) +
";%" )) OR ( 'Computed Grp List' LIKE (( "%;"  +
EXTERNAL($Support_Main_Group_ID$)) +  ";%" ))

...but it does not like the EXTERNAL bits.

Again, I know this will probably be something really basic, so I thank
you for your time.