________________________________

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Payne, George
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 2:30 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Websphere vs Apache

** -->

Hey y'all...

I've been tasked with getting our DEV environment to perform exactly
like our PROD environment.  Great idea, but the installer for PROD
didn't leave behind any documentation and the current Admin has tried to
install the DEV environment to the best of his ability.

Environment:

Separate servers for Apps / Mid-Tier / Database.

All servers are running AIX 5.3

Version: 7.0.01 P02

Database: Oracle 10g

Mid-Tier using Tomcat 5.5 JSP server

What we're running into is that the DEV Mid-Tier is allowing users to
login and presents them with the Home Page (usually) and allows them to
click on whatever console that they would like to get into.  Usually
after 2 or 3 clicks, things start going bonkers with an error message
that indicates that the browser if having trouble finding the server.

The server's default web page claims to be a "Websphere software IBM
HTTP Server: Powered by Apache 2.0"

Is there any way to tell for certain which webserver we're running here?

My concern is that our wonky behavior may be because we're running
Tomcat with an IBM web server instead of a true Apache server and the
compatibility matrix suggests that you can run with Websphere JS with a
Websphere Webserver or Tomcat JS with an Apache webserver.  Is the IBM
web server really just a re-branded Apache web server?

Thoughts and suggestions are most welcome,

Gp

George Payne

Corporate Applications Developer

Electric Reliability Council of Texas