  From: Susan Palmer
  Newsgroups: gmane.comp.crm.arsystem.general
  To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
  Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:03 PM
  Subject: Re: Help - No outgoing emails from Email Messages form

  **
  Shyam,

  I am having problems with the email engine just stopping.  This is the KB bmc
sent.  Hopefully it will give you some clues.  It worked for me.  Now I'm just
waiting for the next time it stops.

  Susan

  How do you trouble shoot problems with the Email Engine?

  Q U E S T I O N

   How do you trouble shoot problems with the Email Engine? Is there a log you
can enable?

  A N S W E R

  Note: The Email Engine Guide has a chapter on Trouble Shooting that covers
this subject matter and more.

  The most important tool to aide in trouble shooting problems with the email
engine is the emailstart.bat file. This batch file is located in the Email
Engine install directory which by default is in C:\Program Files\AR
System\AREmail.

  The batch file essentially runs the Email Engine through by-passing the AR
System Email Engine service (also called the Remedy Email Engine service in
6.0+). Therefore, in order to run the emailstart.bat file, the AR System Email
Engine (or Remedy Email Engine) service must be stopped. When the batch file is
run, the Email Engine service will still show as stopped.

  It is also important to note the mail protocol you are using with the Email
Engine. If you are using MAPI for either incoming or outgoing, then likely the
AR System Email Engine service runs as a domain account associated with the
Exchange Server mailbox you are using with the Email Engine. If this is the
case, then you need to be logged in as this domain account to run the
emailstart.bat file. Assuming the service starts as the Local System Account,
then it does not matter how you are logged into the OS.

  To run emailstart, you can simply double click the batch file. You can also
run it from a command prompt by typing the name (emailstart) and hitting enter.

  Often times its necessary to send this output from the command prompt window
to support for analysis. You can get this output with a screen shot, or you can
use standard out to direct the output to a file. For example:

  C:\Program Files\AR System\AREmail> emailstart > output.txt

  Optionally, if you have experience with batch files, you can edit the batch
file to make the output go to a file. You can save the batch file as a
different name when you do this and it will still work. The batch file does not
have to be named "emailstart".

  Remedy Support often recommends editing the emailstart batch file and adding
a parameter to it to expand the level of output it provides. This is usually
done when the problem is not readily apparent by the emailstart output.

  Creating a debug email batch file can help resolve issues that may not show
up in the email error log. To do this, edit the existing emailstart.bat batch
file located by default in C:\Program Files\AR System\AREmail.

  Right-click on the batch file and choose Edit. Add -Dmail.debug=true after
"%JavaPath%\\java" (see example below):

  "%JavaPath%\\java" -Dmail.debug=true -cp
emaildaemon.jar;arapi51.jar;arutil51.jar;activation.jar;mail.jar;imap.jar;smtp.jar;pop3.jar;armapi51.jar
 com.remedy.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon

  Save the batch file as another name (ie: emaildebug.bat) and run it as
instructed above.
  To stop the batch file from running, you can either press CTRL-C or simply
close the command prompt window.

  Here is a Sample Debug Log:

  loaded library

  DEBUG: JavaMail version 1.3
  DEBUG: successfully loaded file: C:\\Program
Files\\Java\\j2re1.4.1_01\\lib\\javamail.providers
  DEBUG: URL jar:
file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/emaildaemon.jar!/META-INF/javamail.providers
  DEBUG: Bad provider entry:
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: jar:
file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/emaildaemon.jar!/META-INF/javamail.providers
  DEBUG: URL
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/imap.jar!/META-INF/javamail.providers

  DEBUG: JavaMail version 1.3
  DEBUG: successfully loaded file: C:\\Program
Files\\Java\\j2re1.4.1_01\\lib\\javamail.providers
  DEBUG: URL
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/emaildaemon.jar!/META-INF/javamail.providers

  DEBUG: Bad provider entry:
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource:
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/emaildaemon.jar!/META-INF/javamail.providers

  DEBUG: URL
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/imap.jar!/META-INF/javamail.providers
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: jar:
file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/imap.jar!/META-INF/javamail.providers
  DEBUG: URL
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/smtp.jar!/META-INF/javamail.providers

  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource:
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/imap.jar!/META-INF/javamail.providers
  DEBUG: URL jar:
file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/smtp.jar!/META-Inc/ .providers
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource:
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/smtp.jar!/META-Inc/ .providers
  DEBUG: URL
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/pop3.jar!/META-Inc/ .providers
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: jar:
file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/smtp.jar!/META-Inc/ .providers
  DEBUG: URL
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/pop3.jar!/META-Inc/ .providers
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource:
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/pop3.jar!/META-Inc/ .providers
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-Inc/ .default.providers
  DEBUG: Tables of loaded providers
  DEBUG: Providers Listed By Class Name:
{com.remedy.mail.mapi.MAPITransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,mapitransport,com.remedy.mail.mapi.MAPITransport,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED],
com.remedy.mail.mapi.MAPIStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,mapistore,com.remedy.mail.mapi.MAPIStore,[EMAIL
 PROTECTED], com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport=javax.mail.Provider
[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun Microsystems, Inc],
com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun
 Microsystems, Inc], com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store=javax.mail.Provider
[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsystems, Inc]}
  DEBUG: Providers Listed By Protocol:
{imap=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,imap,com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore,Sun
Microsystems, Inc], mapistore=javax.mail.Provider
[STORE,mapistore,com.remedy.mail.mapi.MAPIStore,[EMAIL PROTECTED],
mapitransport=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,mapitransport,com.remedy.mail.mapi.MAPITransport,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED],
pop3=javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsy
stems, Inc],
smtp=javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Sun
Microsystems, Inc]}
[...]
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-Inc/ .default.address.map
  DEBUG: URL jar:
file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/smtp.jar!/META-Inc/ .address.map
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource:
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/smtp.jar!/META-Inc/
.address.map
  DEBUG: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\\Program
Files\\Java\\j2re1.4.1_01\\lib\\ .address.map (The system cannot find the file
specified)
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: /META-Inc/ .default.address.map
  DEBUG: URL
jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/smtp.jar!/META-Inc/
.address.map
  DEBUG: successfully loaded resource: jar:
file:/C:/Program%20Files/AR%20System/AREmail/smtp.jar!/META-Inc/ .address.map
  DEBUG: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\\Program
Files\\Java\\j2re1.4.1_01\\lib\\ .address.map (The system cannot find the file
specified)
  DEBUG: getProvider() returning
javax.mail.Provider[STORE,pop3,com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Store,Sun Microsy stems,
Inc]
  POP3: connecting to host "stubby", port 110
  S: +OK stubby.ntense.Remedy.COM POP3 server (Post.Office v3.5.3 release 223
with ZPOP version 1.0 ID# 0-0U10L2S100V35) ready Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:42:48 -0800
  C: USER blip
  S: +OK Password required for blip
  C: PASS remedy
  S: +OK Maildrop has 0 messages (0 octets)
  C: STAT
  S: +OK 0 0
  C: QUIT
  S: +OK stubby.ntense.Remedy.COM POP3 server closing connection

  Document ID:  KM-000000011522