-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 9:04 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Quick upgrade question about v6.3 patch 22 (Solaris/Sybase)

L.J.

Thanks for the feedback. You might be 100% correct. But if that is the
case... then why include that file in the "files" set for the users?
Sure it should be part of the installer, but part of the "patched
files lists"?

* I see at least a bug in the patch docs, or the files distributed.
(take your pick)
* I think I could be seeing a bug in the "patch by files" process.
    I am concerned that things like field sizes, or new fields were
added/changed on "Core" forms for the server. (and that arupsyb is
what would make those changes for us.)

I guess I will have to ask TechSupport about it.... I wonder how long
it will take to get a "good answer" from them?..  Time will tell..

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On 9/21/07, L. J. Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well Carey, while I haven't performed the patch you are referring to
(on
> Solaris at least) I'm going to say that you don't need to execute this
> script.  The reason being is that the update of the Db is only
necessary
> when going from one version to another.  When applying patches to an
> existing version the only things that are patched are libs and
executables.
> While it certainly shouldn't hurt anything for you to run the script I
do
> not believe you need to.  It is my understanding that the 'upgrade'
first
> checks to see what version you are already running...if it finds that
you
> are already running the same version as the version you are upgrading
> then it simply exits and performs no changes.

However
> there is an "extra file" that looks ... well ...
> important...
>
> specifically
>
> /smbu_patches//ars/6.3/patch022/server/solaris/syb_db/arupsyb
>
> I this file is only mentioned once in the "Server-ReadMe.doc" as a
"file
> that was updated. No instructions on how to use it, or where to put
it.

> So ... I grabbed the installer for Solaris and looked at the
ar_install
> file. It looks like this is actually a program that is used to
"upgrade the
> DB".
>
> So... my question(s) become...
>   Should I do nothing with this file? (What does not happen because of
that
> choice?)
>   Should I apply the files, start the Server and run the arupsyb
script
> manually? (Run it before I apply the files?)
>
> FWIW: All DB's appear to have an arup[syb|ora|inf|db2] file. So I
really
> only need to hear from someone who has applied patch 22 via the "By
Files"
> method.
>
> I hope that someone out there has manually applied patch 22 to a
server and
> already has an answer for this. If not then I guess I will have to ask
Tech
> Support.
>
> --
> Carey Matthew Black