  _____

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2007 2:06 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Incident Mgmt 7: No default Assignee Group?

**
So basically, there is no way in ITSM 7 (within the configuration data) to
set a global assignment rule such that when all else fails (more specific
matches between customer location and the support group rules do not take
place), the base customer company will always assign to a central helpdesk
or something?  No wonder we can't get any of the specific rules for
departments or distributed support areas (discrete chunks of our customer
population) to honor assignment rules designed specifically for them; they
keep routing to the base company catch-all rule that we feel (know) we have
to have.  That is so bass-ackwards from (1) previous behavior in Help
Desk/ITSM 2,3,4,5,6.x), and( 2) from any logical approach to constructing
assignment rules.

I know there is the whole assignment engine construct out there, but it is
useless here since no one in any of our IT organizations ever assigns a new
ticket of any kind directly to an individual; they all MUST go through a
group assignment first because you can't make any assumptions about who will
be available to pick it up.  The entire assignment engine is ONLY useful in
a discrete call-center environment with many support techs on shift at once.
Nothing like that exists here - way too much of the IT staff is part-time,
and a lot of the full-time staff are in fact attending classes.  That means
that the group assignment rules MUST be made to work for us, not against us.
So it's back to doing the customization we aren't supposed to be doing!

So far most of my customizations to the ITSM 7 app have been to replace
functions that were present in the previous versions, and that are
absolutely essential for IT support. The first two were: Login Name search
for customers and population in trouble tickets, followed closely by
Corporate ID for the same purposes.  I guess now I will have to add default
assignment behavior to that list.

Rick, are you suggesting setting the Assigned Group field (1000000217) or
the Assignee Groups field (112) in the HPD:Help Desk form to a default value
of the "default group name,"?  That is a pretty "fundamental" customization
to the behavior of a critical field (112) in the most heavily used form in
the entire ITSM suite, isn't it - especially in a heavily multi-tenancy
environment?  Of course, at this point I'll try just about anything to pound
this POS app into submission so that we can finally implement it.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center
 <http://itsm.unt.edu/> http://itsm.unt.edu/

  _____