Listers,

I've identified that performing a redirection in Tomcat breaks a
specific Remedy Knowledge Management function.  We have a requirement to
allow an end user to enter the following:

https://<servername> as a URL and be redirected to
https://<servername>/arsys/home.  This is more or less a convenience
requirement.  I've done this under IIS before with no issues.

We've since moved to MidTier 7.1 under Tomcat standalone and I've
performed the above by modifying index.html under Tomcat\webapps\ROOT as
follows:

<head>

content="0;URL=https://<servername>arsys/home">

</head>

This too has the desired result as the end user can simply enter
https://<servername> and get to the Remedy login page without issue.
The issue by doing this is that it breaks RKM's ability to embed images
or attach files to documents.

I used the Fiddler application to trace what was going on after setting
Tomcat back to regular non-SSL HTTP and saw HTTP 302 errors being thrown
when attempting to perform the attachment or image insertion functions.
HTTP 302 means that the server is redirecting the user somewhere else to
get the content.  From an end user's perspective, all is well until they
attempt to attach a file or insert an image.  Upon performing either of
these functions, they simply don't work.  When attempting to attach a
file, "nothing happens".  When attempting to insert an image, a "red X"
is displayed.  This is something you might encounter on a site with a
broken URL to an image.

After getting nowhere with BMC support on this, some Google'ing revealed
the following:

"If myapp is a directory (not a web application), Tomcat will send a
302 Error to redirect your browser to
http://localhost:8080/myapp/index.jsp. This is completely invisible
to the user, so everything looks fine. The problem really occurs if
your JSP handles username/password authentication i.e.
http://username:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:8080/myapp What happens is that
Tomcat will send a 302 to redirect the browser to
http://localhost:8080/myapp/index.jsp ... which the browser
delightfully does, but upon redirection, the browser doesn't associate
the "username:password" portion with the new URL (possibly due to
security issues). So if your index.jsp is handling the authenticate
protocol, the browser will pop up a diaglog prompting the user for
username/password instead of just logging in as it should."

So, when the user attempts to embed an image or add an attachment to an
RKM article, their credentials are being stripped and you can see
references to an AccessDenied servlet in the Tomcat logs.  Therefore,
the attempt to attach a file or insert an image silently fails.  My
question is this:

Is there a method to perform the desired redirection that won't effect
RKM in the manner described above?  I've resorted to abandoning the
redirection and, after clearing the cache and restarting Tomcat, the
issue goes away.  When reinstating the redirection method above, the
issue returns.

Any ideas?

Ben