We are pushing about 800,000 records into the CTM:People form.  This is
an initial data load - updates will be smaller.

To do this we've imported the records into a staging form to format the
data properly.  Then an escalation kicks off and marks every record's
status to "Processed" from "New".  A filter fires on the change of
status and pushes data to the CTM:People form.  This filter does a match
on our staging form EID = CTM:People.Corporate ID which is an indexed
field in the CTM:People form.

With the base product I had exceedingly bad import times - about 1.5
seconds per record (and this is on a pretty decent Sun box with a
separate Oracle server also on a Sun box).  So I added a filter on
CTM:People that said if $USER$="AR_ESCALATOR" then Goto 1000.
Essentially I skipped all the OOB validation (which I'd already done in
the staging form out of necessity).  This got the record import speed up
to about 15 records/second (which is STILL far too slow IMHO).

As the 800,000 records imported the speed decreased.  At the end we
averages 6.92 records/second pushed to CTM:People and it took ~31.5
hours.

Also, we initially left one piece of data out of the staging form - so
we added it back in and ran an update push to CTM:People.  This was
faster but had the same symptom - I started out getting 15/second
updates and now (nearly 24 hours later) I'm averaging 9.5
updates/second.

My questions....

1.) Why would performance degrade for an update?  I can see it for the
insert because the tables/indexes/paging/etc are growing - but on an
update that should be fairly static.
2.) Any ideas why this SO slow?  These are big enterprise boxes.   I
have appropriate ports/queues configured, etc.  The arserverd process is
not chewing up all the clock time so obviously it's not taxed.  And
barely anyone is on this box at all.

Also....

3.) If this is still running and I turn on server side SQL logging why
don't I see any of the transactions?  Especially when server filter
logging shows them still processing.....

William Rentfrow, Principal Consultant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
C 701-306-6157
O 952-432-0227