I do not think your statement proves or disproves your craziness.

However, I think display-only forms front-ending real forms is a great
design pattern.

You have more control over the end user experience
-- you NEVER let the user do a 1=1 query
-- you are closer to a MVC design pattern
-- you could have 2 separate versions of workflow running simultaneously (if
your datamodel does not change)
(I think this is a significant benefit -- that way you can do controlled
upgrades -- currently ARS App upgrades are all/nothing all at once)
If you have massive systems - it is pretty hard to coord a big switchover.

Also - by separating model from view more clearly -- I think you give more
attention to the user-experience (which should not be ignored)
(I think most ARS apps are concerned with functionality -- not with
usability -- I think that is the wrong approach)

I think the default options of being able to open a search or open a new --
are no longer relevant for the apps that are being built. When ARS was young
-- users were nearly working directly with the data - it just happened to
have filters and active links that might get in the way and do stuff in
addition to what you typed. Now -- real applications are being built on ARS
-- and that rawness is no longer in vogue.

I think it makes it easier to upgrade (in terms of an application -- this is
what Kinetic Survey does). (wow - twice I said this in one day)
Basically - your raw data forms stay put. You drop all the display only
forms -- reload all the 'new' display only forms -- and you are upgraded.
(OK - that was way simplified - but you get the idea)

Craziness - still up for debate!

-John

--
John David Sundberg