Information provided in the Tutorials at UserWorld, plus reading the
documentation for the ITSM_Data-Management-703 (ITSM 7.0.02 Patch 9003)
has forced me to revisit the topic of queues and threads on ARServer.

I originally built out my 7.1 AR / ITSM 7.0.02 Servers with 5 to 8 Fast
(390620) and 8 to 12 List (390635) queue threads.  The Plugin Loopback
RPC Program Number defaulted to 390626 with 2 and 2 threads.  I added a
Private queue 390629 with 2 and 4 threads and assigned it to the CAI
Plugin in the CAI Plug-In Registry.  Later I added another Private queue
at 390694 with 2 and 4 threads for EIE to use so that it would not wipe
out the Admin thread.

At UserWorld, we were told in the application performance tutorial that
we should set Fast and List queues to BOTH a min and a max of 24 threads
when running ITSM and the CMDB with RE jobs for the best performance.
It was also recommended that we add more threads to the Escalation
queue, which is multi-threaded in 7.1, and as much as 2 and 5 for the
Alert queue if we were using Alerts.

The new docs for Data Management tell you to set Fast queue threads to
16 and 32, and the private thread that is used by the plugin loopback
server (390626) to 16 and 32, and to set the CAI Plugin Registry to use
that same queue.  In my case that required changing the CAI plugin back
to 390626 from the custom queue 390629 that I had been using.

So at this point it looks like I should have:

Queue       RPC       Min    Max Threads

Alert       390601      2      5
Escalation  390603      2      3
Fast        390620     24     32
            390626     16     32   (Private PlugIn Loopback and now CAI
Plugin)
            390629      2      4   (Private - Custom - was using for CAI
Plugin - can delete)
List        390635     24     24
Private     390694      2      4   (Private - Custom - EIE)

Does anyone else have a different take on how these queues should be
configured???  All of the hardware involved has 4 CPU cores and 10 gb
RAM.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/

ITSM 7.0.02.006 (Incident, Problem, Change);
Remedy Knowledge Mgmt 7.1.01.001;
Service Level Mgmt 7.1, AIE 7.1;
Kinetic Request 4.0.2, Calendar 1.0.1; on
ARS 7.1, AREmail/Approval Assign 7.1
Mid-Tier/Flashboards 7.1 on:
Win2K3 Ent x64 / SQL Server 2005 x64