Thanks for the feedback.  My performance concerns come from reading the
AIE user guide, page 22:

        "While it is easy to add field mappings or extra rules for each
field, remember that each item you add is compared against every record in
your database."

So, for example, if during a people record update, I want to compare two
fields, say Phone Number and Address, from a source and target, the AIE
will search the DB for a matching userid, then check the phone number for
a difference.  Then it will do another search for the same userid to check
for Address.  And so on for every field I have mapped?  That sounds like a
cartesian search.  Or am I way off base, and can that be controlled in
some other way?

It looked like there was a high learning curve for AIE, so I wanted to
make sure it was worth even messing with before spending too much time on
it.  Sounds like it is.

Thanks everyone,
Thad Esser
Remedy Developer
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."-- Richard
Bach

"Shyam Attavar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
12/05/2007 06:50 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
Re: Atrium Integration Engine

**
We are using AIE to bring in data from an external Inventory Database (not
one that has a predefined mapping). The good thing is the mapping is
simple to create, since the CMDB CDM classes are readily available.
However, the bigger challenge for us was to get the external data (which
is in a flat data structure) organized in such a fashion as to map to the
CDM. We have been doing incremental get from the source data and building
relationships. I have not really seen any performance issues.

However, the UI is clunky and counter intuitive (in many places). But once
I figured out the ones that I cared about, it was easy to get used to...

BTW, we also have BMC Topology Discovery and that has an automatic feed
into the CMDB via the CMDB API. However, there is no control over what
data goes into the CMDB -- and this has been a drag for us, since anything
that was discovered was dumped into CMDB, so drawing meaningful
conclusions from the CMDB has been a royal pain, especially when trying to
provide a simple way for the Service Desk to use this data in a simple
manner. So, building another set of AIE jobs to bring data from TD,
instead of using the OOB integration is an option we are considering
instead of writing another set of API programs to do what TD is already
doing.

Cheers,
--
Shyam