On server groups, all the application servers point to a central database.

Currently, we have 2 production application servers that are load balanced
through our F5 load balancer.  Both servers are pointed to a central oracle
database that runs on a different server.  In your situation, you could keep
the oracle database on the first server and just point the second server to
that database or just move the database to a different server and have both
application servers point to that database.

A couple of things that I've noticed since we started the server group:

   - Check your load balancer to understand how it actually load
   balances.  Ours for instance, balances based on IP's.  Our problem resulting
   of this, is that all of our call center agents are NAT'd into one IP address
   while the rest of the company is NAT'd to a couple of others.  Kind of
   defeats the purpose.
   - Make sure that the admin tool can modify workflow on both servers.
   With the load balancer, your not always going to get the same server
   (personal experience there).
   - Make sure that when you name your Remedy Application, that it is
   different accoss both servers.  For example, if you have your first server
   name remedy and your second server is name remedy, you will not see both
   servers in the AR System Server Group Ranking form (personal experience
   there).
   - Make sure you set your AR System Server Group Rank form accordingly
   so that processes are not duplicated. Remember that both servers are
   pointing to the same database and hence the same workflow.  This comes into
   view when running escalations.  Currently, we have our first server doing
   all the e-mailing, escalations, and any other admin processes while the
   second server isn't assigned any tasks.
   - You may experience a license issue when you recieve your ServerGroup
   licenses from BMC.  It's a bug that is hard to reproduce from their end
   apparently.  We had to delete our .multilicense file and have the arsystem
   regenerate it.  It's an annoying bugger.
   - Be aware that it took BMC several weeks to get our licenses and even
   then we had to resubmit several times because there was something wrong with
   them.  When you do try to switch the servers over into ServerGroup mode make
   sure and keep the existing licenses in there so that you can roll back.  We
   did this several times until we were sure all licenses were working
   correctly on both servers.

Hopefully this helps you guys in your quest to have a server group.

--
"A fool acts, regardless; knowing well that he is wrong. The ignoramus acts
on only what he knows, but all that he knows.

Robert Halstead