Misi,

"Optional" ( in ARS) does not translate into the Web Service universe
by default. I have no idea why they skipped that important attribute.
In XML there is a "nillable" attribute/concept that will allow the
element to not be there. It is my understanding that nillable allows
the XML element to have no contents.

Ref: http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#xsi_type
"
xsi:nil

XML Schema: Structures introduces a mechanism for signaling that an
element should be accepted as ·valid· when it has no content despite a
content type which does not require or even necessarily allow empty
content. An element may be ·valid· without content if it has the
attribute xsi:nil with the value true. An element so labeled must be
empty, but can carry attributes if permitted by the corresponding
complex type.
"

While the XML minOccurs attribute/concept allows the element to not be
in the xml at all.( "<element/>" vs "")

However, I think the rub in this case is that in the Java universe
(and apparently in the .Net universe too) there are some data types
that can not be "null". So I think the real issue is likely the XML
dataType for the element instead of these other issues. :) Maybe if
you use a dataType that is a full object instead of a primitive that
would allow Java/.Net to deal with an "optional primitive" data
element. Maybe "integer" would map to the object classes in Java/.Net?

Just a thought.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black