Actually there is no "Update" to the search database tables.  If you
watch your SQL logs on the server when you kick off the sync you will
see that the Admin tool deletes all records in the object_search_ref and
object_search_details forms. (It does this 1 at a time and that is why
it takes so long)   What I have done (so I don't go deleting and
creating forms all the time) is to truncate the tables with a filter on
Submit/Modify/Merge of the object_search_admin form.

Do the following:
  On the admin form add 2 DisplayOnly integer fields (zRefID and
zDetailsID)
Add a filter on Submit/Modify/Merge of the admin form
  Name : object_search_admin-TruncateOldData`!
  Run-If : 'TR.Run/Not Run' = 1
  Actions:
  Set Fields from SQL
    SELECT SCHEMAID FROM ARSCHEMA WHERE NAME='object_search_details'
      zDetailsID = $1$
  Set Fields from SQL
    SELECT SCHEMAID FROM ARSCHEMA WHERE NAME='object_search_ref'
      zRefID = $1$
  Direct SQL
     TRUNCATE TABLE T$zDetailsID$
  Direct SQL