Tony,

Bryan Waters and I have been working with the escalation engineers on this,
and we've seen the following fix resolve the issue:

Apply the below Registry settings, if in a Windows environment, to each
Windows server that hosts an AR Server.  If the AR Server is on Linux/UNIX,
see this note:

"It is depend on the server platform. If it is Windows, I think the steps
are same for server and client. If it is Linux, run

echo "300" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

(default is 7200, 2 hours)

To confirm it works, use WireShark for Windows and tcpdump for Linux to
monitor the connection between client and server. On every keepalive_time,
server should send out an acknowledge packet to client and client sends
reply back. In this way, connection is alive for another keepalive_time
interval."

Open your registry and find the key below.

Create new DWORD value named "KeepAliveTime" and set it to equal the number
of milliseconds to wait before sending keep alive packets (the default is 2
hours - 7,200,000 milliseconds).

Also create a new DWORD value called "KeepAliveInterval" and set it to equal
the time in milliseconds between retransmissions of keepalives, once the
KeepAliveTime has expired (the default is 1 second - 1000 milliseconds).

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

Registry Settings

System <http://www.pctools.com/guides/help/registry-settings.php#system_key>
Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
Value <http://www.pctools.com/guides/help/registry-settings.php#value_name>
Name: KeepAliveTime, KeepAliveInterval
Data <http://www.pctools.com/guides/help/registry-settings.php#data_type>
Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

The KeepAliveTime would be set to 300000 for our test (5 minutes).  If the
Registry changes resolve the issue for you, we could export the settings
from the dev server's Registry and simply import them to the production
machines before rebooting them.

KeepAliveTime set to 300000

KeepAliveInterval set to 5000

Anyway, long story short, it appears that some network device is killing the
idle TCP connection after n-minutes (value depends on the device settings).
So, the solution is to send a keep alive signal from the server more often
than the default 2 hours, or identify the device causing the problems and
change its settings.

Hope that helps you with your issue.  BTW: we've requested that a KB get
written up for this, but I don't know when/if that will happen.

Matt Reinfeldt

  _____