If Tomcat is so "easy to administer," how the @()[EMAIL PROTECTED] do you get
the
damn thing to do SSL.  That's about six mouse clicks in IIS, including
the entire process of obtaining and applying the certificate.  Nothing
in what passes for documentation in the tomcat space clearly describes
how to request and apply the certificate and turn on SSL, specifically
on Windows servers (Win2K3 Enterprise x64).  They frame everything in
*nix terms, and the only *nix I allow anywhere near me is well hidden
underneath OS X.  I have no problems with editing configuration files
versus clicking control panel checkboxes (they usually write out to
config files in the background anyway), but getting a certificate
applied to Tomcat is apparently not something you can do by editing
files.

I have tested IIS/ServeltExec and IIS/Tomcat compared to Tomcat/Tomcat,
and the mid-tier runs best and pre-fetches the most reliably on
Tomcat/Tomcat.  Prefetch of the ITSM 7 application kills ServletExec 2/3
of the time, before the prefetch completes.  IIS/Tomcat is a shotgun
wedding with an extra component in the middle to degrade performance,
but if I can't get some information on tomcat SSL we may be forced to
use IIS/Tomcat.  None of our web server administrators apparently know
anything about Tomcat web server, and it is not the same as the Apache
web servers they use.  Plus everything you need for BMC ITSM
installation wants to install its own instance of Tomcat (mid-tier, RKM,
Crystal Report Server XI, also Kinetic if you have it too), or fight
over the primary instance (SLM Collector - which you are better off
using with ServletExec AS).  Then they all fight over the JVM.  It isn't
just a simple IIS or Apache (or Tomcat) question, but how many of them
and where to install them to support all of the different apps for ITSM+
without having them all stomp on each other.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/