I did it in XML....I wouldn't dream of trying to understand the constructs
in a def file...:)  I think I've learned more from the list than I'll ever
be able to pay back...but I'm sure trying as of late...:)

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:43 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Java 7.1 Form Information

LJ,

I am glad you were able to figure it out. (And shared your findings with the
rest of the class. :) It really helps me when I can keep a post like this
for later reference "just in case". I think it also should help BMC to
"understand what the customers do not understand"
too.)

I generally find that when the vendor supplied docs are not clear enough...
I have to count on the system to "do the right thing".

However, every once in a while, you also get statements like.. "Well the
docs were right, then we changed the system but did not update the docs. So
the Docs now have a "BUG" and the actual behavior of the system is what is
"right".

Or you get the inverse of that too..." The docs were right [but you just did
not understand them] and what the system was actually doing was the "BUG"
and we fixed that without telling anyone." ( Every have a patch change the
existing functionality without a word of explanation in the release notes,
and be told it is "as designed"?)

But for me the bottom line is what the system is doing right now. And asking
the system should be the definitive answer on all matters as far as I can
tell. ( The designer/docs/support people can always be wrong, but what is
happening is defined by the software I am running and that is what matters
the most at any given point in time.)

FWIW: I often find the XML form of the objects defs easier to follow.
:) Sorry, I meant to say that before.

Thanks again.
--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On Feb 12, 2008 11:43 AM, LJ Longwing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wow...that's a bit of screwed up way of doing it....but I guess it'll
work.
> Here is how it works.
>
> There is an 'Enabled' flag for both Audit and Archive.  If Enabled,
> the form is Auditing/Archiving respectively.  If however the
> Audit/Archive is disabled, you then need to check the Audit Style and
> see if it's set...if so then you know that the form is being used as
> an Audit form.  If Archiving is disabled and there is a value in the
> 'fromForm' attribute, then this is an Archive form, wow....thank you
> for the suggestion on how to troubleshoot this as I've been beating
> myself up trying to figure this one out....I now know how to code the
display of this particular information.