Susan,

Permissions in ARS are in layers... Additive layers.

A) First a user must have access to the Form.
B) Next the user needs to have access to Field 1.
C) Next the user needs to have access to any of the other fields on the form.

The key here is that the user does not have to gain access to all
levels via the same Access Control group.

So...

A) Lets say you have a form that is "Public (Hidden)".
    So all users can "use" the form, but not see it in there "Object list"s.

B) The permissions on Field 1 have these three groups:
     Helpdesk, (some groupID)
     AllCustomers, (some groupID)
     Dynamic60001 (groupID=60001)

So any user that is in "Helpdesk", or "AllCustomers" would have access
to all records (field 1 values) in the form.
However the third group is a reference to data in each record. So to
know who fits in that group the Application server has to look at the
record in question and check the data in $USER $'s 'Group List'
against the data in the field $60001$ for that record. (Any match
grants access to the record.)

C) Then the server will check the permissions on each field and see if
the $USER $ has access to the field.
     Again... dynamic groups, or "static" groups can be used on any
field and not just field 1.

Also... the "dynamic groups" are a list of: Static Groups, User Names,
or Roles (for Deployable applications only). To keep things a bit
simpler... think of Roles as "Static groups". The thing about "dynamic
groups" is that they are defined on a record by record basis. So if
one record has a value of : 'bob';"Helpdesk" then for that record all
members of the group "Helpdesk" and also the user 'bob' would be a
member of that dynamic group for that record.

So let's say we have two other fields to talk about.

'Status'
  Permissions: Public (View),  HelpDesk(Change)
'Short Description'
  Permissions: HelpDesk(Change), Dynamic60001(Change)

If the $USER $'s group list is blank then they will be able to see 'Status'.
  They MAY also be able to see 'Short Description', If and only if
their user name appears in the 'Dynamic60001' field in single quotes.

If the $USER $'s group list contains "HelpDesk" then they will be able
to see both fields.

If the $USER $'s group list is not blank, and does not contain
"HelpDesk" then they will be able to see 'Status'.
  They MAY also be able to see 'Short Description', If and only if
their user name appears in the 'Dynamic60001' field in single quotes.

So... the question becomes.... What are the permissions on the fields,
and what fields should these users (the ones that you put into the
'Dynamic600001' field) be able to access?

That may not have been the best example... but I hope it helps.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach