Sure - we just got done with this in IM 7:

1.) Add the field "Incident Submit Date" (Date/Time) to the form
NTE:SYS-NT Process Control

2.) Modify the filter HPD:INC:NotificationGenerator_899_PNPC`! to push
$Submit Date$ to "Incident Submit Date"

3.) Add "Submit Date" as a field on the SYS:Form FIeld Selection form:
-Selection type = Notification Message Selection
-Module Name = Incident
-Form Name = HPD:Help Desk
-Select fields from = HPD:Help Desk
-Menu Label 1 = Submit Date
-Menu Value 1 = Submit Date
-Menu Value 2 = #Submit Date#

4.) Alter the filter NTE:SHR:TranslateNotificationMessageINC1_100 to do
the replacement just like all of the other "Set Fields" inside it.  It
will replace "#Submit Date#" with the value of "Incident Submit Date"
from the form in #1 above.

Yes - this works.

Also - I'm NOT a big fan of changing base product workflow in the vast
majority of circumstances.  In this instance we are talking about
filters buried in guides and to really stick true you'd have to
disable/copy all of the filters and the guides themselves and create new
ones....or you can document thoroughly.

We chose plan "B".