Hi Folks...

We just finished the same AIE installation last week on a windows
platform.

The only references that we could find were on page 34/35 of the
Administration Guide.

The important point to note (we found out the hard was the following):
"If you are upgrading your existing installation, you can continue the
installation
without adding any instances by typing 0 in the Number Of Instances
field."

If the value is greater than 0 - then those additional instances will
be created.  In our case we noticed that we
had 3 instances due to one installation, re-installation, then a
patch.

The only spot that you can adjust these parameters is the BMC Atrium
Integration Engine Console under instances.

Unfortunately there are only two parameters that you can change
(Instance Name & Unicode).  This created a problem
for us due to the fact that none of the instances pointed to he
default port of 3021.  We were looking for a way to adjust
the port of the service instances, but could not find one; therefore,
we "blew it away" and re-installed - then patched it (ensuring
that during patch installation we set the instance parameter to 0).

This worked to create a functioning single instance on port 3021.